Psalm 42:1
As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Something 2 Share

Do you ever have one those striking times "when it clicks in your mind" when something is made real to you? Well, I had one yesterday in church and it has rolled around in my head that I woke up this morning with it on my breath. It's quite exciting to me and I wanted to share with you all.

Take Time to Be Holy

2 Peter 1:5-11
2Pe 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,
2Pe 1:6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,
2Pe 1:7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.
2Pe 1:8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9 For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.
2Pe 1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.
2Pe 1:11 For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.


These qualities that the verses mention keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful. Specifically knowledge of the Lord struck a cord with me. The more I read, the more I realize how much I don't know and the more I want to know, to dig, to understand, to have more striking moments in my mind. By making the effort to be diligent in our study of Him and making our calling sure, we will never become blind to what Christ did for us. In fact, we are more humbled, more thankful, and more frustrated at our own sin. We must take the time to become Holy. This has been a revelation in my life, a molding, a process, by this, I mean, the time I spend in secret with God. It has changed the more I understand and see and taste! It's hard to get up early for me, but I woke up this morning thinking "Take the time to be Holy" and I rolled out and had a hour to myself. I've been doing this for a few days now. Before, I had some time in the morning to read and pray, but for me there is something still about being up in the quiet of the morning. (with my coffee) =)) All the while this has been going in my mind and I came across this quote on the bulletin:
The one true victory over inward sin is a trusted Christ, in all the Divine simplicity of those words...However, the rest of faith is anything buy a way to contrive for us a safe "slackness" in the Christian course. Rather, the promise of it is the greatest possible stimulus to diligence. For it is an assurance that real diligence, applied at the right point, is immensely worth the while.
What is the highest and at the same time the simplest purpose of the means of grace-secret prayer, self-scrutiny before God, the Holy Scriptures, the sacred Supper of the Lord, (the Lord's Day), the public worship, family devotion? Mainly a twofold purpose, two aims converging into one; a growing knowledge of our need, and a deepening and ever-developing sight of our Lord Jesus Christ as "all our salvation and all our desire," so that we both love His will and rely upon His power. If we neglect "all diligence" in the spiritual life, then, let us be sure of it, we shall decline in the deep desire to be conformed to His image and follow His steps. Further, we shall decline in the conscious activity and persistence of the faith which rests in Him for peace and power. Handley C. G. Moule

When I read this, it just summed it all up for me. The clicking was going off in my head and I was exhilarated. It made me yearn for the next morning when I could get up and spend time in secret with my God. It's becoming easier to get out of bed no matter what time I went to bed. One more thing to chew on:

Take time to be holy, speak oft with thy Lord;
Abide in Him always, and feed on His Word.
Make friends of God's children, help those who are weak,
Forgetting in nothing His blessing to seek.

Take time to be holy, the world rushes on;
Spend much time in secret, with Jesus alone.
By looking to Jesus, like Him thou shalt be;
Thy friends in thy conduct His likeness shall see.

Take time to be holy, let Him be thy Guide;
And run not before Him, whatever betide.
In joy or in sorrow, still follow the Lord,
And, looking to Jesus, still trust in His Word.

Take time to be holy, be calm in thy soul,
Each thought and each motive beneath His control.
Thus led by His Spirit to fountains of love,
Thou soon shalt be fitted for service above.


This familiar song became real to me in light of what I've been thinking and reading. The Lord in his Grace has given me an understanding, has turned the light on in a dark place. Can you feel my joy, do you follow my thoughts? Perhaps you know exactly what I'm talking about and can be encouraged. Thanks for reading and feel free to share your thoughts with me too.

Joyfully Jen

1 comment:

tomj said...

Jen, How beautiful. I desire that same closeness that comes being the Lord in the still quiet moments. They are so hard to find these days. Thanks for sharing your enlightenment with me. You have definitely been an inspiration to me to "get up earlier" myself to spend time with my Lord.