Psalm 42:1
As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Theology Applied Full Circle

My heart is full and so I must start writing...

What I believe about God, or my theology, affects how I handle life situations. Even what you don't believe about God still is reflected in how you handle life. What I mean by life is the everyday things that God has called each of us to do or what God has graciously blessed us with, or what God allows for us to go through for our sanctification. Let me explain a situation I'm dealing with currently, that's an everyday, in your face kind of thing.

It's called "sanctifying morning sickness". At the beginning, I knew this was par for the course and sought to deal with it as best I could. But then as I was laying on my bed crying out for mercy to stop the vomiting so I could get up to take care of Justus, my thoughts turned to my theology of God in a most sweet way that I can hardly explain it. What I do know is that God will never leave me nor forsake me, that He allows this to happen for a reason and that His grace will be sufficient every step of the way. So, how does this help in the midst of raging morning sickness? I have a calm joy, a holy joy in my heart because I am experiencing God's grace in a most unique way that I didn't every other day before this started and eventually the sickness will subside. What I believe about God must be applied to every detail of my life or rather the truths from Scripture must penetrate my thoughts so much that they guide my response to life and in this particular case, morning sickness. God has drawn me to Himself so near through this experience, that I often cry tears of thankfulness for his grace and mercy. We must experience the truths of the Scriptures in our lives so that we live and breathe Christ.

Psalm 81:10b says "Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it."

Comment from John Calvin: The majority of mankind, either from disgust or pride, or madness, refuse all the blessings which are offered them from heaven. Others, although they do not altogether reject them, yet with difficulty take in only a few small drops, because their faith is so straitened as to prevent them from receiving an abundant supply.

By God saying I will fill your mouth, no matter how large a desire is, we will not be left wanting, He will be our satisfaction. This has become endearing to me that God will be my satisfaction if I open wide and put aside my pride in thinking I can find joy on my own.

Matthew 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink...

God will pour water upon him that is thirsty. Are you thirsty for Him? God used my morning sickness to make me thirstier for Him. He has poured His water upon me and I am thankful, humbled and amazed at God's grace to me who doesn't deserve to even experience His grace. "If any many thirst, let him come unto me and drink". Many of His cures were intended to win the hearts of these burdened souls. (Robert M'Cheyne) My heart has been won, I needed His cure. Thirst will lead you to the secret well, where you may draw unseen living Water. (Robert M'Cheyne)

If you open your mouth wide, God will fill it. He will bring things into your life for your good and sanctification that you might not have thought of in that way before and make you become more thirstier for Him and He will pour out His living Water upon you. Oh, how inadequate I am in trying to make this understandable, if only you could see my tears, feel my awe, sense my passion.

Remember the gospel, it's the only foundational truth of our faith. "Christ died so that sinners would be reconciled to God and forgiven by God." (C.J. Mahaney) Our theology must be based on the gospel alone. The cross has saved and transformed my life. The cross must be the centerpiece of our being. Some of us may need to rediscover the truth that first saved us. It's the key to joy, to growth, to passion. It's always been right there. It's not too late, look to the cross and become thankful. Build you life around the cross, the gospel will give you unspeakable joy. Joy is contagious and that is why I must write to whomever will read my refreshing ramblings.

Because of Him, Jen

1 comment:

On a Joyful Journey! said...

What a joy and blessing to read of God's faithfulness in your life during this time... and thanks for sharing this "refreshing rambling" as God in His grace uses each writing to encourage and challenge my heart! Praying for you... Lovingly, Lisa :)